In 1884, South Pass City became part of Fremont County. At that time several placer claims encompassing the area including South Pass City were established and owned by the Federal Gold Mining Company. These included the Wolverine, Lucky Boy, Victory, and Jeanette Lode claims. The Company permitted people to build on the land without buying it. Thus, if there were any records at all of these buildings they were contained in the records of the tax assessor.
In 1902, the Federal Gold Mining Company made a third plat of the town. This plat covered the area of the Wolverine Placer Claim which included approximately the western two-thirds of the original plat of South Pass City. The Company arranged with the owners of the buildings on the Wolverine Claim to give them the land upon which their buildings were located in exchange for one dollar, thus preventing any future court challenge. The Company sold the same plot of land to several owners in some instances. In addition, they changed the names of the streets in South Pass City.
The Federal Gold Mining Company sold the land upon which the cabin stands to Barney Tibbals in 1904. Tibbals gave the property to his wife, Anna, in 1939 who, in turn, gave the property to her daughter, Janet Tibbals, in 1941. Janet Tibbals sold the cabin to Jean Chipp in 1960. An heir to Jean Chipp, Jessie McCort, sold the property to the Pioneer Carissa Gold Mine, Inc. , in 1971. This sale was disputed by another heir, Donald Chipp, and subsequent court action gave him a half-ownership in the property. However, the question of ownership returned to the courts, when John Bane claimed half-ownership in the property had been given him by Jean Chipp in exchange for work he had done on the cabin. Consequently Bane entered into legal action against the Pioneer Carissa Gold Mine, Inc.