Placer gold was first discovered on Dease Lake in 1873 and on Walker Creek in 1877. By 1886, prospectors began expanding exploration to the Turnagain and Kechika basins. Gold was discovered on Goldpan Creek in 1924, which was followed by claim staking in 1932 on Wheaton (Boulder) and the nearby Bullion, Hall, and Faulkner (Palmer) creeks. Since 1938, placer-mining activity in the vicinity of the Turnagain River, including a dragline operation on Wheaton creek, has been a constant activity. Unfortunately, no geological work was recorded prior to 1940, with the exception of the Turnagain River headwaters. Between 1930 and 1940, nuggets from 30 to 500 grams were reported to the British Columbia Minister of Mines as “common”, the largest nugget recorded during that time period weighed 1612 grams.
The Alice Shea Creek placer deposit is located about 64 kilometres east of the south end of Dease Lake. Alice Creek is a tributary of Wheaton (Boulder) Creek. Recorded production from 1932-1941 totalled 7,756 ounces.