The King Solomon past-producer is located north of the Koksilah River, near Humes Creek. The property is situated on Humes Creek which flows south-east east into Koksilah River about 5 miles southwest of Cowichan Station. The King Solomon and Blue Bell groups adjoin, the workings on the Blue Bell being situated in a general north-westerly direction from the King Solomon workings. The C.N. Railway passes near the portal of the lower level tunnel.
The King Solomon and Blue Bell showings were owned by Messrs. Maclay and Ryan in 1903. Development work began on the Blue Bell where an adit was driven 60 feet. The following year some stripping was done on the King Solomon.
In 1905 the Vancouver Island Mining & Development Co. Ltd. began to prospect the property. By 1967 an inclined shaft had been sunk to a depth of 110 feet and a series of diamond drill holes had been put in to a depth of about 150 feet; this work was done on the Blue Bell showing.
The property was taken over by J. Humes, the King Solomon claim being Crown granted in 1909. The King Solomon Copper Mining Co. was formed to develop the property and during 1913 a crosscut tunnel on the King Solomon claim was driven 550 feet. The property was acquired in 1925 by H.A. Nolte but no work has been done on it since about 1913.
In 1906, 193 tons of ore were shipped from the Blue Bell showing. From this ore 116 ounces of silver and 20,905 pounds of copper were recovered. From 1904-1907, 280 tons of ore were shipped from the King Solomon. From this ore 204 ounces of silver and 39,625 pounds of copper were recovered. During 1912, 303 tons of picked ore were shipped from the King Solomon outcrop. This ore averaged over 5 per cent copper.
The Kinsol Trestle, named from the former King Solomon copper mine, was completed in February 1920. The original design featured a high-level Howe truss that was supported on timber towers. But all wooden structures require maintenance. Design modifications to the bridge included positioning six low-level Howe trusses onto massive concrete piers over the river. There were further repairs made to the trestle in 1936, and the high-level Howe truss span, which had been kept in its original position, was replaced with frame bents.