Sulphur Creek heads in the Dome and empties into Dominion Creek two and a half miles above Australia Creek. It has a length of about seventeen miles measured along the valley. At its mouth it is a stream about twelve feet wide with an average depth on the bars of about six inches. The principal tributaries are Green, Friday, Meadow, and Brimstone gulches on the left, and Quinn and Black Diamond gulches on the right.
The valley of Sulphur Creek is sunk from 1000 to 1500 feet below the crests of the bordering ridges. The slopes are easy and very uniform, and are somewhat steeper on the right limit than on the left. The gravels vary in thickness from two to eight feet or more. In the productive part of the creek they average about three feet. The overburden of muck on Sulphur Creek is extraordinary heavy, much more so than on the other creeks of the district.
The gold is distributed somewhat irregularly. The best part of the creek extends from about Green Gulch clown to a mile or so below Discovery. Sulphur Creek gold is coarse, angular and nuggety in the upper or gulch part of the valley, but lower down becomes finer, shows more wear, and large nuggets are much less abundant.
The ‘black sand’ associated with the gold, consists mainly of pyrite, magnetite and hematite, derived from the green schists of the district. The larger nuggets hold fragments of quartz, and all the evidence appears to show that the gold is of local origin, and is derived from the veins and silicified schists of the valley.